Polar Bears & Beluga Whales
Discover the vast beauty of Churchill, Manitoba—a small town on the banks of the Hudson Bay known for hosting polar bears in the fall. During summer, visitors can possibly spot polar bears along the local shores before they return to the pack ice when it forms in early winter. Summertime is also when the bears share the area with more than 60,000 beluga whales—who come to feed, mate, and give birth in the shallow waters—as well as a wide variety of other wildlife.
– Fuel your inspiration. Enjoy a private reception and three-course welcome dinner at Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park Zoo along with a presentation on polar bears.
– Relax in comfort. Stay at the iconic Lazy Bear Lodge, hand-built by local pioneer Wally Daudrich from stone and reclaimed boreal forest timbers.
– Uncover local beauty. Embark upon two separate water tours of the Hudson Bay to spot and photograph many of the 60,000 beluga whales that inhabit the area.
– Connect with nature. Venture out into the stark landscape aboard a custom-designed wildlife viewing vehicle, stopping to admire the scenery as you search for arctic hare, snowy owl, ptarmigan and arctic fox.
– Choose your own adventure. Join one of two optional guided excursion activities (additional fee): a 3-hour kayaking tour or a 3-hour Beluga AquaGliding™ tour.
– Gain perspective and insight. Visit Churchill’s Itsanitaq Museum for an exploration of indigenous ways of life while viewing remarkable examples of Inuit craftsmanship.
- 6 nights in ideally situated and comfortable accommodations
- Round-trip airfare between Winnipeg and Churchill
- 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and 5 dinners (including a special private welcome reception and three-course dinner at Assiniboine Park Zoo), and a farewell reception
- Full guiding services of an Orbridge Expedition Leader and a local naturalist
- All excursion transportation and entry fees
- All gratuities